For your information we have provided some general interest content about registered trademarks. I’m sure it will make interesting reading and give you a clearer understanding of registered trademarks and what benefit they have in protecting your businesses brand identity and marketing initiatives into the future.
What is a trade mark?
A trade mark is used to distinguish the goods and services of one trader from those of another.
A trade mark is a right that is granted for a letter, number, word, phrase, sound, smell, shape, logo, picture and/or aspect of packaging. A registered trade mark is legally enforceable and gives you exclusive rights to commercially use, licence or sell it for the goods and services that it is registered under.
Benefits of a registered trade mark.
A trade mark can be your most valuable marketing tool. The public identifies a certain quality, reputation and image with goods and services bearing a trade mark. The more successful your business is the more valuable the trade mark becomes.
As the owner of a registered trade mark:
• You have the exclusive right to use your registered trade mark as a brand name for the goods or services specified in the registration.
• You have the exclusive right to authorise other people to use your registered trade mark for the goods or services specified in the registration.
• You have a registered trade mark that is valuable business intellectual property and can be sold.
• Your trade mark registration usually covers the whole of the Commonwealth of Australia.
• You can give the Australian Customs Service a notice objecting to the importation of goods that infringe your registered trade mark rights.
• You can be in a stronger position to stop other people from using your trade mark as their brand name on the same or similar goods or services of your trade mark registration.
Once your trade mark is ® registered, it is good business practice to place the ® symbol immediately adjacent to your trade mark, this puts others on notice to respect your trade mark and aids in protecting your valuable intellectual property.
Did you know this?
It is an offence to use the ®, ‘registered trade mark symbol’ if your trade mark is not registered?
We design brands to stand out in a crowd. We know our craft and we’re here to help you.
Robert Kelzke. Creative and Managing Director. Graphic Designers Melbourne KG Advertising.
Phone: 03 9974 0364 or 0449 590 669 Email: email@example.com